A beautiful, cosy and twinkly ceremony and reception at Wedderburn Castle in Southern Scotland just 4 days before Christmas Day.
It’s not long now until Christmas so I thought I'd post 7 quick tips on taking better group photos on Christmas Day that might be useful to you, even a couple small adjustments to the way you take these photos can have massive visible results.
1. Time it well: Group photos are usually taken at the end of the evening or day when everyone is looking at their worst. For a ‘fresher’ shot take it once everyone has arrived.
2. Plan ahead: think about where you might take the shot, your home will likely be all twinkly with lovely decorations so be sure to include some of your favourites to give the photo some context, make sure you choose a position where your group will fit and where there is enough light for the shot (windows light is great, make sure the group are facing the window).
3. Pose the group: In most cases your group will pose itself pretty naturally (we’ve all done it before). Tall people will go to the back, short people to the front. But there are other things you can do to add to the photo’s composition: Make sure no ones head is hiding behind another person and tell everyone to raise their chins a little – they’ll thank you later when they see the shot without any double chins!
4. Continuous shots: One of the best ways to avoid the problems of not everyone looking just right in a shot is to take multiple photos quickly. I often use my iPhone in ’burst mode’ when taking photos of people and shoot in short bursts of shots. I find that the first shot is often no good but that the one or two directly after it often give a group that looks a little less posed and more relaxed.
- To use burst mode on an iPhone:
- Launch the camera app from your iPhone or iPad's Home screen.
- Hold down the Shutter button or Volume button to take a burst of pictures.
- iOS will automatically choose the best photos from the burst. If you don't like photos it chooses, you can choose your own.
5. Go outdoors: If you don't feel that your house has the space for everyone in front of the tree, take your camera outdoors for a lovely pre or post dinner wintery family walk but remember the sun goes down just before 4pm in December so make sure you go out before that.
Yes YOU should smile! There’s nothing worse than a grumpy stressed out person taking photos. Have fun and enjoy the process of getting your shots and you’ll find the group will too.
Get ready to enjoy better group shots!
P.S. You are probably feeling a little bit stressed out trying to think of what to get everybody for Christmas at this point, well.. I can help you with some amazing Christmas gift vouchers for mums of young children (or young children who love to dress up)..
Our limited edition mini studio shoots are fun themed shoots, perfect for children and available on different dates throughout the year, check out our mini shoot page for ideas of what they could do.. (think, fairys, superheros, disney princesses....)
You can choose vouchers from the following:
£195 – a themed mini session of her choice plus a 16×20 wall box frame – a luxe gift that will let them hang their favourite image in their house right away. Perfect for a family who just moved, added a new member, or deserves special attention.
£100 – a mini session plus a set of 3 archival prints – perfect for someone who would love a mini session, but who might not have space for a large piece right now or you aren’t sure what they’d want.
£25 – gift someone a session with one print. Perfect for repeat Happy Photography customers who are already familiar with the photography process.
Just call us on 01289 302832 we can arrange this over the phone and post out the gift voucher pack to you.
The following scenario happens to me every year...
Giant baubles and candy canes twinkle at you from the high, white ceilings as you wander aimlessly around the bustling and queued out shopping centre. Once again, Fairytale of New York starts 'ringing out' and then it dawns, you only have two 'non child' days in which to think of, purchase and wrap some heartwarming and meaningful presents for pretty much the entire family.
A cold sweat breaks and the panic sets in - You don't want to be the one who disappoints..
I can help you avoid that!
During October and November I am offering children's Christmas Mini Shoots in Berwick that will give you a warm, fuzzy feeling inside and leave you feeling super prepared and organised.
We even have great value mini shoot packages which include something for everyone - A perfect way of sorting out this year's Christmas presents for all the Grandparents, Aunties and Uncles!
The mini shoot session will only take 20 minutes, yes it could be 20 minutes of madness and tantrums or shyness and hiding behind mummy's legs but I know every trick in the book to get a giggle and a few shots that will make your heart sing!
So, what is included?
20 minute mini shoot session in our studio with a professional childrens photographer using our lovely Christmas backdrops and props.
Personal view and choose ordering session of your edited photographs.
A deluxe, photographic christmas card with your favourite photograph mounted inside.
A digital web size file of your favourite photograph (to use as a Facebook profile pic or to e-mail to loved ones who live far away).
Gift for each child (that will keep them entertained for hours after the shoot!).
Great value print packages from £65 on offer at your ordering session (with absolutley no obligation and no pressure to buy).
You will need to bring cute Christmas pyjamas or party clothes for our 'Christmas eve grotto' set and bright chunky knits or coats and boots for our ever popular winter woodland, sledging set. (Full details on what to bring will be sent out to you before the mini shoot session.) We are currently creating a new set for Christmas 2016, surprises await!
As you can imagine, our Christmas mini shoot sessions are VERY popular and spaces are limited so click HERE to book now!
***Book before 1st October to receive another digital web size file, absolutely free!***
So, why not avoid the queues and enjoy this December without any manic shopping trips?
The Small Print
TIME SLOTS: Will be allocated on a first come first serve basis (via ticket distributer eventbrite.com) and will run on time. Bookings are limited to one per family.
PRODUCTS: Items included in the shoot can not be changed or swapped. Further prints, products, packages and/or digital files can be purchased at your ordering session. Digital web size files will be watermarked with our studio logo.
FAMILY GROUPS: Mini shoot sessions are not suitable for large family groups.
PUBLICITY: By booking a mini shoot you are granting Pictorial Photography the usage of the resulting images for the promotion of its business and services.
Due to the time limit and props involved, unfortunately the Christmas mini shoots are not suitable for babies who can't sit up unaided.
DIGITAL DOWNLOADS: Please ensure that you back up digital downloads to prevent loss, Pictorial Photography does not keep backup copies of digital photographs.
COPYRIGHT: All photographs are copyright protected to Pictorial Photography unless otherwise stated.
SESSION IMAGES: Clients should expect to see between 5 and 10 photographs from a mini shoot session.
ORDER TIMELINE: Pictorial Photography will fulfil product orders within 28 days of the order being received. All photographs that are not purchased will be deleted after the ordering session.
Check out some of the photographs from last years Christmas Mini Shoot Sessions..
Copyright © Pictorial Photography, All rights reserved.